Date: 5/9/19 5:37 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] South Coast East Wind Extravaganza 5/9/19
No rare bird reports but what a day! I was working down at Floras Lake,
Curry and we arrived at 0800 to (yes Ed) do some rare plant monitoring. It
was 60F with a very chilly wind out of NW. Most everyone had heavy coats on
except for some of the youth crew who probably wear shorts in winter.
Anyhow at almost exactly 11AM the wind suddenly shifted to ENE and boom, it
was 80F. Coats were quickly shed!!

Along with the east winds came a plethora of what I think were painted
(versus American) ladies and thousands of flying ants. This last until 3PM
when the offshore winds suddenly busted through and it was back to 60F in a
snap of a finger. As I walked back to parking area, a 1/4 mile away and
inland- we were working close to beach, I actually walked back into the 88F
heat!!

It got up to 91F on drive back to Coos Bay but the office at North Bend was
about 80F. Old record for Coos Bay for this date is 73F so we safely busted
it- my wife said it was up to 89 at our house in Coos Bay.

Early on at Floras Lake heard Yellow Warblers singing. Had WW Pee-wee
singing there two days ago. Also had a bird fly in from ocean that I wish I
had bins for. Did hear one LAPLAND LONGSPUR call during big heat (which
also included 20+ mph winds giving us the blast furnace effect).

Super amazing day- temps usually back to normal (60s) after these east wind
events- on the coast that is.

Maybe there will be some displaced goodies in early AM manana?

Merry migration!
Tim R
Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!