Date: 5/9/19 5:24 pm
From: Christopher Loscalzo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Caspian Tern and White-faced Ibis
We spent a little time this afternoon along the SE CT coast and saw some
good birds. In Westbrook, from the town beach, we observed a Caspian Tern
flying west to east along the coast. Then, at Hammonasset in Madison, we
found the White-faced Ibis feeding in the marsh near the road between East
Beach and the Nature Center with about a dozen Glossy Ibis. The good news
about the ibis is that it is still around and may try to breed here in CT.
If it does, it may do so on Duck Island, the nearby heron and ibis nesting
colony. If it interbreeds with a Glossy Ibis, we may have to rename the
island "Hybrid Haven" as it is likely the location of the Tricolored
Heron/Little Blue Heron interbreeding phenomenon.

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,

Woodbridge