Date: 5/9/19 4:55 pm
From: Russ Namitz <namitzr...>
Subject: [obol] OBA Princess Cruise field trip report 5/4-5/6
The Oregon Birding Association field trip for the month of May was aboard the Golden Princess, embarking in Los Angeles, CA on 5/4, sailing north and disembarking in Vancouver, BC on 5/7.

We started birding at 6am on 5/6, just barely in Coos County. We had unfortunately sailed entirely through Curry County during the dark. We ended birding in Oregon around lunchtime at the mouth of the Columbia River.

We encountered ZERO Pterodroma petrels in CA, OR or WA waters. This was quite a shock, especially after the spectacular success of a 3 Pterodroma trip just days prior on a Holland America cruise.

Highlights for Oregon waters included the usual suite of pelagic birds. Large flocks of SOOTY SHEARWATERS occurred in Lincoln County with a few SHORT-TAILED SHEARWATERS mixed in. Lincoln also hosted our only TUFTED PUFFIN. A male BLACK SCOTER was found way out to sea in Tillamook County and 2 RUDDY TURNSTONES flew by in Clatsop.

COOS
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56017798

DOUGLAS
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56017937

LANE
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56018012
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56018043

LINCOLN
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56018188
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56018235
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56018273
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56018306
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56018540

TILLAMOOK
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56018631
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56018690
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56018796

CLATSOP
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56018838

You never know what you might find unless you try!

Cheers and good birding,
Russ Namitz

Join us on Facebook!