Date: 5/9/19 4:46 pm
From: Rudolph Keller <rckeller...>
Subject: Re: Erythristic Hairy Woodpecker, Mercer County
Years ago an erythristic chickadee spent the winter at my bird feeder in
Berks Co. I nicknamed it the "pink-cheeked chickadee" because the normally
white cheeks were suffused with a pinkish buff color like faint spots of
rouge, really a lighter shade of the color on the flanks of Tufted Titmice,
the breasts of Red-breasted Nuthatches and parts of other parids. The breast
feathers were suffused with a light version of the same color, and in
general the bird had a much warmer coloration than other chickadees due to
the same reddish tinting. I was unfamiliar with erythrism at the time, but
Paul Hess acquainted me with the phenomenon via this listserve. The
chickadee disappeared at the end of the bird feeding season, never to
return, and I have not seen another like it.
Rudy Keller
Berks County