Date: 5/9/19 4:25 pm
From: Treesa Hertzel <autumn207...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Clarification
Mary et al,

Mary writes, "The usual listserv suggestions to be respectful doesn't seem to work the best…”

When someone posts a message that includes a personal insult to another member, I send a message to OBOL stating that personal insults are not tolerated, so all of our members know that this is being addressed. However, I also write the poster personally and warn him or her that OBOL does not tolerate personal insults.

This usually works. In fact, only once in the last five years has a situation required me to go one step further, and flag the user as “moderated post,” which means that his messages will be moderated by me before being sent on to OBOL.

Generally, this is a great group and discussions are welcome. By the way, we are three short of 1700 members.

Treesa Hertzel
OBOL Moderator

On May 9, 2019, at 4:07 PM, Mary Garrard <springazure1...> wrote:

To be clear, my post about personal snarky jabs the other day was apparently misinterpreted. I did not mean to imply in any way that I oppose discussions, even animated discussions, about birding topics. What I deplore is animated discussions that involve personal snarky jabs. That's all.

I've been thinking a lot about how we communicate online subsequent to seeing the responses, both public and private, that I got to that post, and what could be best practices to promote respectful communication. The usual listserv suggestions to be respectful doesn't seem to work the best...

I've also been thinking about gender differences in communication in the context of the internet. Lots of interesting stuff.

I'm going to write up my findings with links to some articles and book chapters that I find helpful or interesting. It'll take me a couple of days because I'm away from my laptop and I've just scratched the surface of what's out there. I'll post it on the BOO listserv with a heads-up here for anyone who might be interested.

Happy summer! Oops, I mean happy mid-spring.....

Mary

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness. The Dalai Lama

Join us on Facebook!