Date: 5/9/19 4:04 pm
From: Mary Garrard <springazure1...>
Subject: [obol] Clarification
To be clear, my post about personal snarky jabs the other day was
apparently misinterpreted. I did not mean to imply in any way that I oppose
discussions, even animated discussions, about birding topics. What I
deplore is animated discussions that involve personal snarky jabs. That's
all.

I've been thinking a lot about how we communicate online subsequent to
seeing the responses, both public and private, that I got to that post, and
what could be best practices to promote respectful communication. The usual
listserv suggestions to be respectful doesn't seem to work the best...

I've also been thinking about gender differences in communication in the
context of the internet. Lots of interesting stuff.

I'm going to write up my findings with links to some articles and book
chapters that I find helpful or interesting. It'll take me a couple of days
because I'm away from my laptop and I've just scratched the surface of
what's out there. I'll post it on the BOO listserv with a heads-up here for
anyone who might be interested.

Happy summer! Oops, I mean happy mid-spring.....

Mary

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness. The Dalai Lama

Join us on Facebook!