Date: 5/9/19 12:55 pm
From: Marcia Watson <marshwren50...>
Subject: RE: [MDBirding] Re: Be careful - ticks
Another tick tip: There are gaiters available that are pre-treated with permethrin. I have a pair of these. They are knee-high, are made of a soft fabric, and wrap around the lower leg and close with Velcro strips. They are lightweight, comfortable and surprisingly cool and work over any pair of pants. Since they don’t need to be regularly washed (unlike pants), the permethrin lasts a long time. They also help deter chiggers. I bought mine on Amazon and the brand name is “Lym-eez.”

Of course, the gaiters won’t help with ticks that, as Jim Moore notes, come from higher perches. But I have found them effective in most situations.

Marcia

_________

Marcia Watson

Patuxent Bird Club

A Chapter of the Maryland Ornithological Society

www.patuxentbirdclub.org

Bowie, MD

<Marshwren50...>