Date: 5/9/19 9:40 am
From: Lisa Larson <lisafaylarson...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Correction regarding ID & Arana Gulch details
Hi Everyone,

I had sent out an email about the Santa Cruz Bird Club Arana Gulch walk on
Tuesday. I thought that the woodpeckers nesting near the north entrance
were Downies, but I returned yesterday and discovered that they are HAIRY
WOODPECKERS.

The PYGMY NUTHATCHES are still active at their hole - in the same tree. The
male brings the female food. I do not know if there are any young at this
point.

The shared tree interests me because last year I watched HAIRY WOODPECKERS
"kick out" PYGMY NUTHATCHES and take over the nest hole at Schwan Lake
between the "dip" in the trail connector and the railroad tracks. I have
seen the (same?) woodpeckers in that area this season as well. There is
more than one hole in that tree.

The VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW are still flying around and checking our the nest
box on the southeast end of the park. I did not see them come to the
aforementioned tree again.

Also, I had said that the WESTERN BLUEBIRDS were seen on nest box 3#, but
it is nest box #4 at the northeast end of the park. I did not see the
parents or young yesterday, but I was not there very long.

- Lisa