Date: 5/9/19 7:29 am
From: Noah Bers <noahbers...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: Be careful - ticks
Spray permethrin is OK as folks have mentioned but even more effective and longer lasting is to soak your clothes and shoes in 36.8% permethrin SFR diluted to .5%. This method is also significantly less expensive - .02 cents / oz compared to .63 cents / oz of the Sawyer spray.

Direction
1. Mix 1gal water with 2oz of 36.8% permethrin. This will yield 130oz of .5% solution.
2. Soak for 2 hours, wring out and air dry.
3. Retreat every year regardless of # of washes.

Though there is some evidence that it is best to handwash treated clothing, a few studies show that even machine washing (gentle) and drying (low) resulted in decreased risk of tick bite.