Date: 5/9/19 3:48 am
From: Gregory Hanisek via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Yellow Rail thoughts
Nick Bonomo, as usual, has not only found a good bird but also spelled out
in great detail the circumstances and consequences of our collective
excitement.

I think it's worth pointing out that while this is among the rarest birds
for a CT birder, in terms of adding it to a list, it's not a one-off
vagrant like Common Greenshank or Roseate Spoonbill. This is a regular
migrant through our state that is just incredibly hard to find because of
its secretive nature, nocturnal habits and choice of habitat.

However, since Nick through diligent effort found one, that means they're
moving and there are probably others in the state right now. It would be a
credit to our collective birding ethos if this sparked some of us to go out
to other good habitat at time required and see if we can find any more.
Marshes inland, as well as coastal, are potential locations,

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury