Date: 5/9/19 1:26 am
From: Nick Bonomo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] YELLOW RAIL calling in Old Saybrook
Good morning.

There is a YELLOW RAIL ticking away as I type this in Old Saybrook. 345am.

**Sorry for posting delay. Been speaking to OS Police Dept about birder access and possible disturbance. THIS IS A RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOOD. Still calling 415.**

It is heard from the top of the leaf dump park that is at the end of Coulter St.

Drive to the end of Coulter St. If there is parking on the street that will not impede residents in any way, you should park on the road to minimize noise for those trying to listen. ALSO BE AS QUIET AS POSSIBLE SO AS TO NOT DISTURB NEIGHBORS. If Police get complaints, they will shut it down.

Walk up the incline driveway to the top of the hill and listen to the marsh to the north.

If there is no good parking options on the road (OBEY ALL SIGNAGE), then drive into the park, and the driveway will go up to the top.

Please:
1) Do not tape the bird, as it will cause confusion amongst birders at the very least. This is a migrant and not a potential breeding species here.
2) Be quiet ALL THE TIME, including closing of car doors.
3) Because this is a tight space, carpool if possible.

Don’t expect this bird to be calling during the day. After dark or predawn are likely to be best time as long as it is here.

More as it develops or as I think of it. Please ask if any questions.

Don’t mean to be high-handed here, but the cops do have my info, so please don’t get the birding community in any sort of trouble here. I do enjoy birding Old Saybrook and would like to keep up a good rapport with the police. Thanks :)

Good luck!

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT

Sent from my iPhone