Date: 5/8/19 10:42 pm
From: <jonathan...>
Subject: [obol] Bitterns in the open
About 10 days ago, we had a pair of very friendly Bitterns at Steigerwald
Lake. The male was showing off, and I got these photos

http://www.phlumf.com/temp/American-Bittern-6.jpg

http://www.phlumf.com/temp/American-Bittern-2.jpg

http://www.phlumf.com/temp/American-Bittern-1.jpg

The last photo helped me understand why they stand with their bills skyward.
They have stereo vision looking downward, so with their bill in the air,
they can look forward. Plus, it's good camouflage. It was actually a bit too
close - I had to back up to fit it in the camera frame. There were 5-6
people there. The Bitterns were only about 10 yards off the main path.

It wasn't especially early either - like 9-10am or so. Never had an
encounter like this previously. I think it's just a matter of luck.

-Jonathan

Msg: #9 in digest

From: Rebecca Hartman <rhartman...> <mailto:<rhartman...> >

Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 09:38:41 -0700

Subject: [obol] Bittern in the open

I'm curious to learn how common it is for Bitterns to be in the open, and
why they might be.

I took a friend to Fernridge yesterday afternoon and as we walked west on
the Royal path we saw a bird on the side of the path just past the turn to
the platform. It appeared to be a Bittern in typical vertical head pose.

Not convinced that light and angle might not be making a GBH into a Bittern,
we crept forward as slowly as possible. It was clearly a Bittern and it did
eventually fly, fully confirming for me. I was initially more skeptical than
my companion, because I've never encountered a Bittern in the open like
that.

Thanks in advance for any illumination on this.

Rebecca

Eugene

Join us on Facebook!