Date: 5/8/19 9:54 pm
From: Shawneen Finnegan <shawneenfinnegan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Unknown petrel
Here is my stab at this bird's ID.

Browsing the internet for petrels I decided to look at foot coloration. Both Mottled and Murphy’s have pink legs with varying amounts of black on the feet. So that didn’t help.

I know it appears to have a big dark belly band like Mottled but those feathers are the least disheveled. The feathers all the way up to the face look like they are white at the base but dark at the tips.

Mottled has a very white underwing with a big black bar, and a narrow trailing black edge on the underside. I am not seeing that on this bird. See eBird’s example here: https://ebird.org/species/motpet <https://ebird.org/species/motpet>

And here is a Mottled that shows lots of white below but the underwing is too white compared to the beached one: https://www.igoterra.com/photo_info.asp?userid=&photoid=8643&countryid=0&thingid=360&aktpage=1&taxa_group_id=0 <https://www.igoterra.com/photo_info.asp?userid=&photoid=8643&countryid=0&thingid=360&aktpage=1&taxa_group_id=0>

There are some very good photos of Murphy’s here by Bjorn Anderson: https://www.igoterra.com/photo_info.asp?photoid=201826

I am leaning towards Murphy’s but having said that it is hard to tell from this photo.

Shawneen Finnegan
Beaverton.

> On May 8, 2019, at 8:46 PM, David Irons <llsdirons...> wrote:
>
> Despite unsubscribing I am still getting OBOL posts, so I’ll start the bidding. This looks like a very battered and sodden Mottled Petrel to me. Definitely a Pterodroma.
>
> Dave Irons
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On May 8, 2019, at 7:56 PM, Mike Patterson <celata...> wrote:
>>
>> This photo just bubbled up on iNaturalist...
>>
>> https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/23806902
>>
>> I'm thinking Murphy's Petrel, but willingly defer to others...
>>
>> --
>> Mike Patterson
>> Astoria, OR
>> Bald Eagles - a gateway bird
>> http://www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/northcoastdiaries/?p=3709
>> POST: Send your post to <obol...>
>>
> <ä“IéĘʋ«Š‹-¶ŠąWëyébČÛ(źN ӑAB†Ûiÿü0ÁúȚzXŹ¶Ê+ƒùbČßèn‰NâÚ­Èbœë0ĂëyébČÛ(źÚ­Èbœïèn‰Bą{ZrÙšuêÚ¶Šèn‰fĄŚ«jÚ+±úȚzXŹ¶Ê+

Join us on Facebook!