Date: 5/8/19 7:40 pm
From: JAMES SPEICHER <jugornought...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Be careful - ticks
Not mentioned so far...

When I'm doing trail maintenance [6th year I believe] on my Shenandoah
National Park trail [Thornton River lower section], I rely on DEET
[25% pump spray] liberally applied to boots and socks and less
liberally to me on legs. The idea of the long pants well tucked in +
long sleeved shirt YADDA YADDA YADDA, is not practical when you're
doing trail work in warm weather, tho it may apply for birding
activities early in the season. Some of the trail workers are fans of
the permethrin sprayed togs, but as long as the DEET is working, I'll
stick with it.

ALSO since they can be as small as a period in normal printed text
[newspaper for example] and still carry Lyme, a shower with a
washcloth is recommended to better get the critters, especially the
smaller ones not easily visible, heading down the drain following an
exposure.

Aside:
I picked up a tick in the yard a few days ago. The rabbits' ears
generally have a small tick convention always in progress :(

Jim Speicher

ps 20 ticks + 4 YIKES...!!!