Date: 5/8/19 3:08 pm
From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Subject: [obol] Wed morning, Fern Ridge
Maybe 20 birders gathered for coffee, but the group scattered in several directions from the shop. This list is from the west side of Fern Ridge, on Jean’s Road, past Zumwalt Park. There is a park trail in the woodlands between the road and the shore of Fern Ridge, that we never before had visited in the spring. Numbers of migrants were not overwhelming, and I think most of what we had could have been in residence.
48 species

Canada Goose 8
Wood Duck 1 pair
Mallard several pair
Pied-billed Grebe 3
Western Grebe 6
Band-tailed Pigeon flock of 14
Rufous Hummingbird 1
Great Blue Heron 2
Turkey Vulture 6
Bald Eagle 4
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Acorn Woodpecker 2
Red-breasted Sapsucker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
American Kestrel 1 at Willow Creek
Picific-slope Flycatcher 4
Hutton’s Vireo 1
Warbling Vireo 2
Steller’s Jay 2
California Scrub-Jay 7
American Crow 5
Common Raven 2
Tree Swallow light numbers in specific places.
Violet-green Swallow generally light
Barn Swallow 3
Black-capped Chickadee 6
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 4
Bushtit couple of pairs
Red-breasted Nuthatch 2 heard
Bewick’s Wren 2 heard
Swainson’s Thrush 3
American Robin 12
European Starling 1
Cedar Waxwing flock of 10
Evening Grosbeak few seen but present in numbers
House Finch 1 heard
Spotted Towhee 10
Song Sparrow 5
White-crowned Sparrow 1 heard by Rachael from car
Yellow-headed Blackbird 1 seen from car at the south Fern Ridge colony.
Red-winged Blackbird maybe 15, mostly individuals
Brown-headed Cowbird 6
Orange-crowned Warbler 8
Common Yellowthroat 5
Yellow Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1
Wilson’s Warbler 7
Black-headed Grosbeak 9

Dennis Arendt, Judy Franzen, Scott McNeeley, Mark and Cindy Armstrong, Jim Regali, Tom Cable, Sylvia Maulding, Pamela Carpenter, Steve Dignam, Nancy Clogston, Rachael Frieze, Jim Mitchell, and Larry McQueen

Join us on Facebook!