Date: 5/8/19 11:11 am
From: Beverly Propen via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] CACC
5/8 Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center, 9:30am-1PM, low tide rising, 63F.
In the morning, male osprey was on the perch and female on her nest.
Sadly, our osprey cam is not operational yet, so we cannot determine the
number of eggs, but she is in brooding pose. At 12:40pm, male osprey
brought in a fish, which a third osprey tried to snatch, but failed.
On the marsh: 42 Dunlin with the black bellies- (conservative estimate),
about 140 Brant (also conservative estimate), 9 Semipalmated plovers, 6
Semipalmated Sandpipers, 1 Dowitcher, 5 Greater Yellowlegs, 8 Mute
swans, 2 Great Egrets, 3 Snowy Egrets, 2 Willets.
On grounds: 6 Tree swallows (one of the nest boxes is being battled over
by House sparrows), 4 Mourning doves, 2 Catbirds, 1 Common Yellowthroat,
12 Common grackles, 17 Purple martins (very vocal and busy), 2 House wrens,
1 Carolina wren, 3 Song sparrows, 6 House sparrows, 2 Starlings.
Bev Propen, Orange