Date: 5/8/19 11:06 am
From: Katherine Kuckens via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] where are the chipmunks
We always have a lot of chipmunks in our West Hartford yard, under the
deck, under the wooden walkway, scurrying under the bird feeders, lurking
in the woodpile etc. They vanish in the winter, then reappar in the
spring. Our usual horde started to reappear about two or three weeks ago.
It was a tough winter; much of their territory was under 2 to 3 feet of
snow and ice that had hardened like cement and only melted recently. I
wondered if they would survive. But they did!

We always have hawks in our tall trees and we've seen them catch and eat
squirrels, and a big snake once, but haven't seen any chipmunks get caught
or eaten.