Date: 5/7/19 8:42 pm
From: Tom and Nancy Moeller <thosjmoel...>
Subject: Great Crested Flycatcher, Frick Park, Allegheny County
After passing a mixed-gender flock of 8 or so Brown-headed Cowbirds by the Frick Environmental Center, we found a Great Crested Flycatcher calling in the upper Meadow at about 7 pm (5-7-19). The bird was only repeating a single "wheep" call intermittently. We watch it catch and eat a bug (moth?).
We started down toward the South Clayton Loop but back-tracked when we heard a Scarlet Tanager's "chick burr" call from where we had found the flycatcher. The calls were very loud and distinct above and close to us, but we never actually saw the bird. Those bright red birds have a way of hiding in the foliage!
American Robins were calling as we left the Meadow.
Back at the center's feeders were the usual subjects: Mourning Doves, Red-winged Blackbirds, Chipping Sparrows, a White-Breasted Nuthatch, a Blue Jay, and the cowbirds. Baltimore Orioles were calling from the trees along Beechwood Blvd. and some were moving into the park.
A nice spring evening walk.

Tom and Nancy Moeller
Allegheny County

Join us on Facebook!