Date: 5/7/19 5:12 pm
From: Frank Mantlik via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] “Golden-winged Warbler” follow-up
5/7. Hi all. Yesterday I reported the sighting of an apparent Golden-winged Warbler at Racebrook Tract, on behalf of the finder, Linda Olsen.
Chris Elphick of UConn, and others, saw Linda’s photos and questioned the bird’s parentage based on physical features including two bold yellow wingbars in a faded yellow wing patch, instead of a solid bright yellow wingpatch ( and other less obvious features). Chris and Greg Hanisek requested feedback from others, including David Sibley and Ian Worley (VT eBird reviewer). While this bird is neither a classic Golden-winged, nor a classic Lawrence’s hybrid, all were in agreement that it best be called a “Blue-winged Warbler X Golden-winged Warbler (hybrid)”...at least as far as eBird is concerned.

Here is a great article from VT on the subject:

https://ebird.org/vt/news/golden-blue-winged-warbler-potpourri-how-to-submit-to-ebird

And here is Linda Olsen’s eBird Report, with photos:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55938274

The “Winged” Warblers are a genetic mush-mash. We birders are all still learning.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford

Sent from my iPhone