Date: 5/7/19 12:47 pm
From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Ebird--avoid using the "x" in checklists because...
On 5/7/2019 9:09 AM, David Irons wrote:

> As with any science, meaningful participation requires the following of certain protocols. Upon discovering eBird it is easy to get seduced by the ease of personal record keeping, listing and sharing of rare sightings. Unfortunately, many become avid users without, or before taking the time to learn the eBird protocols and best practices. The result is the input of many checklists that are scientifically useless. It would be one thing if it took no effort or minimal effort to identify and cull out those checklists, but that is not the reality. Thousands of volunteer reviewers spend an unknowable number of hours interacting with observers in an effort to keep the database as “clean” as possible.

Not that I really have anything useful to contribute to this discussion,
but because of what Dave wrote above, I do not use eBird.....because as
an ornithologist, I feel immense guilt if I don't do it "right".....and
since I am literally in the field every day for at least 6 months
straight, it is simply overwhelming to me to think about keeping tabs on
how many individuals of the all the species I see on a daily basis.
And then going home and sitting at a computer (or worse yet, looking at
my phone in the field) to add all these birds.   And because I don't
feel good about that, I decided not to participate, much to the chagrin
of a few (it has been mentioned to me).    Since I follow protocols all
the time, I know how that works, and I just feel like if I used eBird it
really wouldn't be very useful data unless I follow the protocol.  But
then someone might say that I do it as a profession, and eBird is made
for the birders of the world who don't spend the amount of time I do in
the field, and thus, have more time and interest in using eBird.

Cheers

Dave Lauten

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>