Date: 5/7/19 8:45 am
From: Richard Nugent <rmnugent...>
Subject: PISP; Erie County; 05/06/2019
Yesterday I took advantage of the good weather to spend the day birding at Presque Isle State Park. It was a good day for weather and birds. All the locations that I visited had an abundance of birds, but Pine Tree Trail was the best. The eastern part was flooded so I started at the western end of Pine Tree Trail and almost immediately found a Red-headed Woodpecker. Throughout the park there were lots of Palm Warblers, Yellow-rumped Warblers and Yellow Warblers with an excellent assortment of other birds. As I was watching a Black-and-white Warbler along Dead Pond Trail, I heard rustling in the dead leaves. When I looked down I saw an adult Eastern Garter Snake carrying a toad, which looked way too big for the snake to swallow. The snake soon moved deeper into the brush and I did not see how this ended. My bird highlights are below:

Northern Shoveler
Red-breasted Merganser
Wild Turkey
Caspian Tern