Date: 5/6/19 4:18 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Malheur update
The Ground Squirrel Gazette

May 6, 2019

I am off duty most of this week so today I wandered the valley a bit. I saw several birds new to me this year but nothing in the way of first arrivals, though the two Wilson’s Phalaropes come close. The biggest surprise was the screech-owl that started responding when I was imitating pygmy up the side canyon at Page Springs. The HQ flipchart list shows a FOY Mac today.

Water is still generally high. The Silvies and Blitzen are just under bank high; the Blitzen is down a bit from two weeks ago but if we get a bunch of 80-degree days that will change.

Big numbers of Yellow-rumps are everywhere in the valley. Black Terns are basically not here yet. I could not find Black-throated Sparrow in a traditional spot. Likewise Ash-throat. Another few days should bring all of those in.

I’ll probably go up to Idlewild sometime this week to see some forest birds.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

TEMPORARY ADDRESS: