Date: 5/6/19 2:45 pm
From: Paul Roisen <roisenp1950...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Woodbury County-Bacon Creek 5/6/19
My Subaru took an unexpected turn towards Bacon Creek nearly throwing me
into the back seat. Being forced to go along for the ride I was please
when it stopped at the far end parking lot. Binocular in hand, but no
camera as it was beginning to sprinkle, I wandered down into the picnic
area. Start time was 12:27 end time 1:27pm. When I first arrived it was
pretty dead. About 12:55 picked up and I had 35 species just in the picnic
area below the last parking lot how about 1:25 it just quit. Crossing back
and forth there was a continued change over of species. Interesting that
there was only one sparrow species (Chipping).

First of Year Species (9) **
Warbler Species (9) That is a good number for Woodbury this early in May.
Best Birds: Blackpoll Warbler and Gray-cheecked Thrush.

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 12
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) 1
**Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus varius) 2
**Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens) 2
**Blue-headed Vireo (Vireo solitarius) 1
Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus) 1
**Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) 1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 2
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 2
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 4
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 1
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon) 5
**Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea) 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) 4
**Gray-cheeked Thrush (Catharus minimus) 1
**Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus) 4
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 4
Brown Thrasher (Toxostoma rufum) 1
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 2
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 3
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) 3
Eastern Meadowlark (Sturnella magna) 1
**Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) 1
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 5
Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater) 2
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) 1
Ovenbird (Seiurus aurocapilla) 1
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) 2
Orange-crowned Warbler (Oreothlypis celata) 2
**Nashville Warbler (Oreothlypis ruficapilla) 1
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia) 3
**Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata) 1
Palm Warbler (Setophaga palmarum) 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata) 2
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 3
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus) 2

Cannot imagine how good it might have been early this AM. Sure glad my
Subaru made such a good decision for me but it should have taken me there
earlier (LOL)!

God Bless and great birding to you all.

*Paul O. Roisen*
*Woodbury County, IA*