Date: 5/6/19 11:55 am
From: Dennis Thompson <cndthomps...>
Subject: [ia-bird] greetings from the new IOU President
Greetings from your new Iowa Ornithologists' Union president. I'm excited
to get started. Many thanks to Francis Moore for all the work he did as
president of this organization the past four years. Here are a few of my
initial thoughts.

* As others have noted, this past weekend's IOU meeting was a great
success. Many thanks to IOU VP Pip Fisher, Karen Disbrow and the rest of
the Iowa City Bird Club for a really fun weekend. The weather was great
(finally!) and so were the birds. A full write-up of the weekend will soon
be published, but here's my two cents worth. While migrants were scarce,
the SE Iowa specialties more than made up for it. White-eyed Vireo,
Louisiana Waterthrush, Blue-winged Warbler, Kentucky Warbler, Cerulean
Warbler, Northern Parula, Pine Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler and
Yellow-breasted Chat put on quite a show. I personally have never
encountered the number of Kentucky Warblers my group had on the
Lacey-Keosauqua walk on Saturday. I heard that a Henslow's Sparrow put on
quite a show for one group on Sunday. The speakers were top-notch. Greg
Hoch's talk on American Woodcock elicited a lot of feedback from the crowd.
Likewise, Rick Hollis provided a pile of useful information on birding
applications available today.

Nathan Pieplow was our keynote speaker. As advertised, Nathan's one of the
foremost experts on bird sounds and both of his presentations were
educational and a lot of fun. The attendees have a whole new appreciation
for the ubiquitous Red-winged Blackbird.

* We could use some help for the Fall Meeting, We have a couple of
possible sites, but if you know of a location that would like to host us or
a possible keynote speaker, please contact Pip Fisher or me.

* We're looking for additional folks for various committees, e.g.
Membership, Communications, Publications and Projects.. We'll be
publishing more information on the responsibilities for the committees, but
if you have an interest in participating on any of them, please let me know.

* Mark Carson has agreed to audit our 2017-18 books, It's not a
tough job but a necessary one. That's an example of the many ways folks can
help with this organization.

I welcome any suggestions or comments you have about IOU.

Thanks,

Denny Thompson