Date: 5/6/19 8:25 am
From: Alexander Lin-Moore via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Eli Whitney Museum warblers incl. Cerulean
Eli Whitney was packed with warblers this morning, almost all the same
species and individuals as what was present yesterday during the rain. The
flocks were dominated by Yellow-rumped, but one or more of Black-and-white,
Blackburnian, Black-throated Green, Blue-winged, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia,
and most importantly the continuing male CERULEAN were all seen or heard in
the vicinity of the covered bridge/coal shed. If the Cerulean sticks during
the day, the easiest way to find it is to listen for the song, since he was
singing almost constantly from ~8-9AM while we were there. The U-bend on
the rocky outcrop immediately above the coal shed is a good place to stake
out and wait for the foraging birds to move past (the switchbacks up to it
are still pretty muddy & slippery).

I talked to someone (didn't catch his name, sorry!) who had seen the
immature male Summer Tanager around 7:15-7:30 flying up into East Rock
Park, but it wasn't seen again while I was there.

I'm pretty sure that I saw the same bird I had called in yesterday as a
potential second Prothonotary, again in with a large, mixed flock dominated
by YRWA. In nice conditions it was easy to see that it was indeed a
female/immature Yellow Warbler. facepalm. Apologies for setting off the
false alarm!

happy birding,
Alex

--
Alexander Lin-Moore | Ph.D. Candidate
Yale University | Department of Genetics