Date: 5/6/19 7:54 am
From: 'Chris Edwards' via IA-BIRD <ia-bird...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Backyard Fallout
When I stepped outside at 6:30 this morning the yard was full of birdsong.
I had a vacation day scheduled so I decided to take a page from the Dick
Sayles playbook. I spent an hour on the deck before breakfast, then after
breakfast I spent another hour on the deck and poked around the backyard a
little bit. (Full disclosure: the backyard includes a small grass lawn, a
couple acres of woods, and a small pond.) In two hours I had 61 species!
They included LEAST FLYCATCHER, BLUE-HEADED VIREO, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH,
SWAINSON'S THRUSH, 10 warbler species including BLUE-WINGED, GOLDEN-WINGED,
many NASHVILLES and TENNESSEES, AMERICAN REDSTART, NORTHERN PARULA,
CHESTNUT-SIDED, and BLACK-THROATED GREEN, LINCOLN'S SPARROW, SCARLET
TANAGER, ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK, INDIGO BUNTING, BOBOLINK (singing
flyover!), ORCHARD ORIOLE, PURPLE FINCH, RED-HEADED WOODPECKER, PILEATED
WOODPECKER, and SOLITARY SANDPIPER (pond). Hmmm, do I really need to do all
those chores I had planned for today?

Chris Edwards
Solon, IA