Date: 5/6/19 5:14 am
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Coos Migrant Report 5/5/19
On Sunday early I did our three mile loop dog walk at N Spit Coos Bay.
Early on it was overcast which translates to less wind but enough to keep
the mosquitoes at bay.

Many singing migrant warblers in willows along walk to beach mainly
Wilson’s, Orange-crowned and C Yellowthroat. At least three bitterns
boop-a-looing. My first two Yellow Warblers of the year and only a few
singing YR Warblers. One PS Fly the only flycatcher.

On the beach portion we found the following:
250 Sanderlings
150 Western Sands
20 Semipalm Plovers
19 Whimbrel
5 Black Turnstone
1 Ruddy Turnstone
5 Brown Pelis

Back inland at the small pond there was a nice assortment of ducks: GWTeal,
Cinnamon Teal (5), pintail, shovelers and wigeon. In with the ducks were 7
Red-necked Phalaropes. Many more singing Wilson’s and OC Warblers. A.
Goldfinches in also.

Back at BLM boat ramp singing Savannah and WC Sparrow (one really different
WC song) and about 20 Purple Martins. On way out in truck saw Joe Metzler
trying to read a band on a Purple Martin (successfully) on another group of
6 PUMA boxes along causeway off Hwy 101 where all 6 boxes had pairs at
them. Incidentally he has found martins that were banded at Fern Ridge and
in WA state around Coos Bay. He has banded many himself and is our PUMA
caretaker these days around Coos Bay with some really, cool new box
designs- fabulous job Joe! Megakudos!!

Merry migration and happy summertime all,
Tim R
Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!