Date: 5/5/19 8:48 pm
From: Andy Frank <andydfrank...>
Subject: [obol] Mult Madness Birdathon record 120 species for day
Today Wink Gross and I co-led the Mult Madness Birdathon. The 12 eager and
skilled birders on the team found a preliminary 120 species for the day,
all in Multnomah County, shattering our previous record of 111 species.
During the day we covered the length of the county, from Eagle Creek at the
eastern end to Oak Island on Sauvie Island at the western end. We did not
find anything especially rare, but did very well finding most of the
expected species as well as some unexpected ones.

We had a great start at Smith and Bybee Lakes with 38 species in only 30
minutes, including the only Yellow Warbler we'd find for the day.

Mt Tabor was very active with our finding most of the expected warblers
(including MacGillivray, though we missed Nashville) and expected
flycatchers (Olive-sided, Western Wood-Pewee, Hammond's and Pacific-slope)
as well as several other species we would not find elsewhere.

At the marsh at Zenger Farm we found Virginia Rail and then went on to
Larch Mountain. Several clearcuts we've explored in the past now have new
signs declaring no admittance without written permission, but we were still
able to add some good species such as Northern Pygmy-Owl, Canada Jay and a
very cooperative beautiful Hermit Warbler that gave great looks to all.

Our lunch stop at Bonneville Dam had many Northern Rough-winged Swallows, a
Spotted Sandpiper and our only Caspian Tern for the day. At Eagle Creek
there was one American Dipper and our only California and Ring-billed Gulls.

Mason Wetlands had a good assortment of birds including our only Hooded
Merganser. Then it was on to Force Lake and Vanport Wetlands where we
cleaned up on waterfowl. Vanport was especially good with Cinnamon Teal,
Redhead, an unexpected Greater White-fronted Goose with our only Cackling
Geese of the day, Least Sandpipers and Long-billed Dowitchers as well as
Yellow-headed Blackbird.

We finished the day on Sauvie Island with Oak Island being especially
productive with Western and Clark's Grebes, American White Pelican and
White-breasted Nuthatch. Our last stop was at Wapato where we found
American Bittern and our last bird of the day, Sora, which we had missed
last year.

It was a fun day with a great group of birders, and it was nice to be able
to support Portland Audubon in the process.

Andy Frank
Portland

Join us on Facebook!