Date: 5/5/19 6:23 pm
From: Todd Burkhardt <todd.burkhardt.tb...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Blackburnian in Jefferson County- Joyce and Todd Burkhardt
First of all, Joyce and I want to thank the IOU organizers for a wonderful
meeting this weekend. Special thanks to Brandon and James for their great
insights on our trip to Croton unit on Sat. and to Candace for not losing
anyone.

We could not make the Sunday field trip so Joyce did a local morning trip
to Whitham Woods in Fairfield where she saw (among other birds) 2 Scarlet
Tanagers, several Baltimore Orioles and 2 Orchard Orioles, and a beautiful
Green Heron.

Sunday night was a beautiful night so we went back out around 7 PM to the
Jefferson County Park and went up the hill to the playground/picnic area
north the pond. We decided to work the big oak grove there. It was quite
active and we quickly saw a Yellow-Throated Vireo, many Yellow-Rumps,
several Baltimore Orioles, and a Rose-breasted Grosbeak (M and F). We
heard a Summer Tanager and while looking for him a small flock of warblers
came through. Joyce immediately picked up the bright orange throat of a
Blackburnian. I didn't see him then so we stayed with the flock for a bit
and before long the Blackburnian gave us a beautiful shot at the top of the
tree in the descending sunlight. He was lit up beautifully! That is Joyce
and my first Blackburnian sighting in Jefferson County and FOY. More great
days ahead!

Thanks,

Todd and Joyce