Date: 5/5/19 6:05 pm
From: Nancy Stotz <nstotznew...>
Subject: [obol] Florence area shorebirds
Another interesting shorebird day. We started out at Siltcoos (south of
river) and were treated to several dozen Red-necked Phalarope, most flying
by, a few working little puddles left in the ripply wet sand. They were
joined by lots of Sanderlings, a single dowitcher, and 5 Snowies moving
between the puddles and their roped off refuge by the dunes. As the wind
picked up, flocks started whipping past us low up the beach, including a
group of 4 Red Knots.
We hit the crab docks at the Siuslaw south jetty too late for any exposed
sand, and just ran into lots more phalaropes and Sanderlings on the beach
there.
We hit a nice pulse of activity on Heceta Beach about an hour after high
tide. Lots more Sanderlings and phalarope, plus lots of Semi Plovers and a
smattering of Western Sandpipers. The wind had really picked up, and the
phalaropes that landed on the beach appeared quite challenged by the wind.
Trying to stand or walk seemed much more challenging for them, as they
staggered with each gust, unlike the others. Highlight was 2 flyby flocks
of knots (one of 10, one of 11 birds). Someday, I hope to see one on the
sand!
Nancy Stotz

Join us on Facebook!