Date: 5/5/19 11:44 am
From: Caleb Centanni <caleb...>
Subject: [obol] Report--Oregon Big Day May 4
Hi all,

Nolan Clements and I decided to try our luck with an Oregon Big Day for
eBird's Global Big Day yesterday, May 4. We tried a route slightly altered
from previous big days we had heard about, owling in Corvallis, starting
the Day at Siletz Bay and going through Philomath, Eugene, Oakridge,
Crescent, Fort Rock, and Summer Lake. Despite some delaying car trouble
east of the Cacades and many misses, we finished the day with 203 species,
just over the 200 we were hoping for.

Here are some of our unexpected and exciting finds from yesterday:

-Snow Geese, 4 lingering on the Summer Lake Auto-tour Route

-Harlequin Ducks, 2 on likely nesting territory on Salt Creek above
Oakridge!

-Red Knots, 3 on the beach north of the North Jetty at Newport. Lifers for
us!

-Marbled Godwit and Ruddy Turnstone, less common migrant shorebirds, also
near North Jetty.

-Mew Gull, seemed late.

-5 Owls: Screech, Barred, GH, Saw-whet, and Pygmy

-Swainson's Thrush, 2 were earlyish in a clearcut west of Siletz Bay

And many others. Several very big misses included Solitaire(!), Stilt, all
accipiters, and others.

Thanks to Tim Janzen, Alan Contreras, Hendrik Herlyn, Courtney Kelly Jett,
and others for helping us and giving us info about birds and this type of
birding. It was an awesome day! Now back to studying...

Best wishes to all, and happy birding!
Caleb Centanni

Join us on Facebook!