Date: 5/5/19 3:27 am
From: James Wilson <birdmanjfw...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Towhees singing ... or not. A question ?
On Saturday morning, the Momlets and Owlets had a World Series of Birding tune-up. We spent over 4 hours prowling the woods at Tuckahoe and the roads and fields around it. We had 18 species of warblers, both Grosbeaks, both Orioles and lots of other goodies. The heavy fog made birding by ear a lot of fun.

This leads to my question about what we missed ... Towhees. This area is usually crawling with Towhees. We have heard and seen them all spring. But yesterday, not one was singing or doing its call note. I noticed the same thing in my daily walk along John Brown Road.

Is this a known behavior for this time of year (a pre or post-breeding trait) or am I just trying to make something out of nothing? Inquiring minds want to know ... or at least mine does!

Jim Wilson
Queenstown.