Date: 5/4/19 6:38 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Coos migrants 5/4/19
I was up at Mt Bolivar/ Eden Valley for the third weekend straight which
incidentally was where we would always be at sunrise on our Coos big days.

Highlight was a quick look at one, possibly two, ACORN WOODIES- a very rare
Coos bird only seen in this area (base of Mt Bolivar in a snag patch from
past fires) at about this time in recent years. They haven’t bred in the
county for 30+ years.

I hiked up Bolivar around sunrise (an hour long hike) and I basically heard
calling Dusky Flys the entire way except when I hit the north side of the
peak and unburnt forest where Hammond’s Flys were calling/singing.

I finally found a Nashville Warbler after I got down along the road to the
trailhead. Townsend’s Warblers singing were especially thick along with
MacG’s, Orange-crowned, Wilson’s, and Hermits.

Olive-sided Flys, Western Tanagers, and Warbling Vireos were at every stop.
All the way to Powers and back into Coos Bay.

Had one Swainson’s Thrush calling at dawn in the Eden Valley meadow- first
of the year for me. Many singing Hermit Thrushes.

In Powers area there were many Lazuli Buntings singing as well as Chipping
Sparrows. No Vesper Sparrow which I heard two weeks previous. Down low did
hear several chats singing.

Beautiful day and nice views as usual from top of Bolivar- Crater Lake to
Mt Shasta.

Enjoy!
Tim R
Coos Bay