Date: 5/4/19 10:09 am
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Good news on E.E. Wilson loon
The manager of E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area, Shawn Woods, informs me that yesterday (May 3) the Common Loon on the Angling Pond managed to get airborne and clear the rim of the hole that it was in. So a better outcome than last time a loon landed there (that one was found out in the grass a couple hundred yards from the pond, trying to toboggan its way to a better situation).

On the downer side, at dawn this morning I saw and heard my first Swainson's Thrush of the year. Unfortunately my diagnostic view was as a bird in hand, and the vocalization that I heard was a distress squawk as the neighbors' cat had found it first, and was chasing it through the grass in our front yard. I managed to chase off the cat and catch the bird. It got away from me near a dense lilac thicket while I was trying to figure out if it was just stunned from hitting a window, or more seriously injured. The lilac thicket seemed like a good place to leave it and hope that it could recover on its own.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

Join us on Facebook!