Date: 5/4/19 4:36 am
From: Phil Davis <pdavis...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Bachman's Sparrow and Red-cockaded Woodpecker
FYI ... you can use the same abridged database document to view the
MD records of Bachman's Sparrow and Red-cockaded Woodpecker (or any
other rare/unusual MD species).

Trivia factoid of the day ... It's pronounced BACK-man, not BOCK-man
... that's how the family pronounced it!

Phil

At 19:09 05/03/2019, Gail Mackiernan wrote:
>I wonder if this was more due to loss of habitat- Bachman's Sparrow
>breeds in grassy/ shrub understory in regenerating or mature open
>pine woods. I recall seeing them in southside Virginia in
>regenerating loblolly plantations and in Louisiana in mature but
>very open and widely spaced longleaf pine woods. Not much of that
>habitat in Maryland now. Also I believe we used to have Red-cockaded
>Woodpeckers as well, and they would also favor this sort of habitat.

Phil Davis, Secretary
MD/DC Records Committee
2549 Vale Court
Davidsonville, Maryland 21035 USA