Date: 5/3/19 10:56 pm
From: Timothy Shelmerdine <tim.oregonpelagictours...>
Subject: [obol] Repositioning Cruise sightings (completed message)
Taking advantage of the low fares offered by cruise ship lines moving their
ships northward for the Alaska season, I had an interesting cruise aboard
the Eurodam (Holland America Line) between San Diego and Vancouver, B.C.
Mechanical repairs required a 20 hour delay in our departure, so instead of
leaving late in the afternoon of Monday, April 29, we left about 1:30 pm on
April 30. This change in schedule meant an increased speed the entire
voyage north, cut the birding time in Oregon unfortunately, but led to some
spectacular birding in Washington.
By 8:20 am on May 1, we were already off Monterey Co, CA. I had 1 LAYSAN
ALBATROSS in that county, another in San Mateo Co., and 2 in San Francisco
County, all in the morning. I personally had no more Laysans north of San
Francisco Co., although other birders on board may have.
Highlights of the afternoon shift were 1 HAWAIIAN PETREL and 1 COOK'S
PETREL in Mendocino Co., and 1 HAWAIIAN PETREL and 1 MURPHY'S PETREL in
Humboldt Co. More of all three pterodromas were seen by other birders.
7:30 am on May 2 found us in Douglas Co, where Leach's Storm-Petrels were
present in small numbers. By a little after 8:00, we were in Lane County
waters, where I had my first MURPHY'S PETREL in Oregon. A second MURPHY'S
was detected in Lincoln Co. about a half hour later.
To wrap things up, by early afternoon, we were in Washington waters. I saw
3 MURPHY'S PETRELS in Pacific Co, (2 close to the boat in the same scope
view!), my first for Washington. By the time I was the last birder on deck
at dinner time, I had seen a minimum of 14 more MURPHY'S PETRELS between
Grays Harbor and Clallam Cos. My count was the most conservative of the
birders on board.
Just the Washington sightings probably doubled all of my previous Murphy's
Petrel sightings in both Oregon and California. 19 for the entire day, 20
for the two days I birded.
I apologize for the lengthy report, and for somehow sending out the
unfinished draft.
Tim
--
Tim Shelmerdine