Date: 5/3/19 6:47 pm
From: mike burchett <mikeburchett23...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: Wilson's Plover - MD
Hi Folks,

The two reports of Wilson's Plovers on Assateague Island today appear to be
two different individuals. Around 10am, I found what appears to be a female
Wilson's Plover foraging in the intertidal zone and beach near kilometer
post 34.0 of the Over-sand Vehicle driving zone. This location was 11 miles
south on the beach and about 1 mile north of the Virginia state line fence.
For access, an OSV driving permit is needed from the National Park Service.
One can be obtained at the Visitor Contact Station near the entrance booths.

The second Wilson's Plover was spotted and photographed several hours later
by a coworker of mine. The location was about a mile north of the causeway
to Assateague. This individual appears to be a male and it was resting in
the tire ruts just south of the piping plover signed closure area. In order
to access this location, you would need to walk north from Assateague State
Park. Parking can be found at the State Park if they are open, or at the
National Seashore Visitor Center on the mainland across the bridge. You can
walk north up the shell road, then up the intertidal zone. Please respect
all closed areas and no pets or bicycles are allowed north of the State
Park.

Hope someone will be able to relocate one of these birds but in the past
they have been difficult to track down after initial sightings.

Good birding and good luck,
Mike Burchett
Berlin, MD