Date: 5/3/19 4:50 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Malheur update
The Ground Squirrel Gazette

May 3, 2019

Today’s FOY arrival was two Black-headed Grosbeaks. Other highlights included eight Lewis’s Woodpeckers, more tanagers and buntings and multiple passes by Prairie Falcon, Cooper’s and Sharp-shin. Late yesterday a Prairie snagged a ground squirrel near my front door and carried it off.

The oddest sight of the day was a very large bat that emerged about 2 p.m. and flew around over the pond for a while. At one point a Tree Swallow tried to run it off but the bat was unimpressed and seemed larger than the swallow. Harney County has many bat species; this is about the largest bat I have seen in Oregon. A recently dead small brown bat was also found today.

The coming week’s temps are expected to peak in the 60s and low 70s. When we get an extended period of warmer weather, the Blitzen may overtop the southern CPR owing to the huge Steens snowpack. Visitors in late May and June should have Plan B if the south end of the refuge is not accessible.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

TEMPORARY ADDRESS: