Date: 5/3/19 3:36 pm
From: Jamie Meyers via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Mansfield RT Loon, general reminder on storms and inland lakes
Phil’s Red-throated Loon remains on the Mansfield Hollow reservoir, well seen from the path off rt 89. It was not visible from the boat ramp, likely hidden behind the island.

This served as a reminder to me that stormy weather at this time of year can ground northbound water birds and shorebirds On large bodies of water well inland from where they are usually found. Strong thunderstorms can make for some interesting birding immediately after their passage or early in the morning if they come through at night. Migrating sea ducks, loons and the occasional tern can be grounded at such times. Super rarities like Common Eider in Barkhamsted and Red Pharalope in Canton have been found in the somewhat recent past. 19 out of 20 lake checks will turn up nothing but that 20th one could be really rewarding!

Just something to consider.

Jamie Meyers
Canton

Sent from my iPhone, likely using voice to text technology that needs refinement. Please forgive any grammatical misadventures.