Date: 5/3/19 1:52 pm
From: 'Clive Harris' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Some Montgomery County birds today, 5/3
I had the day off and spent the first part birding spots along the river.  Yesterday would of course have been a better day as it seems many migrants departed last night and not many came in.  I was not really making an effort to get a species total but did reach 104 species.
A few highlights:
- Summer Tanager back at their "traditional" spot near the entrance to Summit Hall Turf Farm- Vesper Sparrow - just one heard today, along W Offut Rd.- 15 species of warbler, although not a single Yellow-throated- YB Chat in 4 different places- Great Egret colony on island downstream of White's Ferry - last year it had over 20 occupied nests of GREG; this year, Great Blues seem to have returned in force.  Difficult to count as the leaves are out, but looked like 2/3 GBHE to 1/3 GREG.  - Adult Red-headed Woodpecker in the grounds of White's Ferry.  Was recorded there last year, possibly breeding at that site or near there?
Good birding
Clive HarrisCabin John, MD