Date: 5/3/19 11:00 am
From: 'Jim Nelson' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] White-crowned Sparrow, Bethesda yard, Mont. Co.
I had a nice surprise as I ate lunch on our deck today.?? I've been
watching for lingering White-throated Sparrows to see how long they stay
around (last one seen or heard a couple of days ago).?? I spotted a
sparrow on the ground with bright black and white head striping and
immediately realized it was a White-crowned Sparrow.

Checking my eBird records, we have only sighted White-crowned Sparrows
in our small suburban backyard in Bethesda 8 other times, with the first
sighting back in 1991 and the most recent five years ago to the day --
May 3, 2014.

A very cool bird for this year's yard list and first of year for us
anywhere.

Jim Nelson

Bethesda, MD