Date: 5/2/19 5:51 pm
From: Nick Bonomo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Lighthouse Point fallout
To add to today's strong reports...

I arrived at Lighthouse Point Park in New Haven just before 2pm to find the
place covered with neotropical migrants. This was truly a fallout - at
times birds littered the forest floor and understory, as well as the canopy
of course. I was joined by Julian Hough later in the day. We tallied 18
species of warbler in this small park (16 of those at eye level or lower!)
plus your expected vireos, tanagers, orioles, grosbeaks and thrushes. It
was probably the best single-site landbird fallout I have experienced in
spring in Connecticut, as far as bird density goes. The composition was
dominated by the species you'd expect for the date (i.e. Yellow-rumped,
Black-and-white, and BT Green Warblers etc). Highlights included a
LINCOLN'S SPARROW and an early WILLOW FLYCATCHER.

Last night's NEXRAD radar does show that, while very little seemed to leave
CT, a concentration of birds arrived in SW CT during the early morning
hours. Dreary coastal weather conditions likely caused birds to concentrate
there upon arrival.

Hammonasset seemed to be the approximate eastern boundary of the fallout. I
birded Bluff Point in Groton and Rocky Neck State Park in East Lyme before
noon and had modest numbers of migrants at those locations...nothing like
what Fairfield and New Haven Counties experienced.

Bluff Point did have 10 warbler species including a nice male HOODED. I
ended up with 21 warblers on the day, a nice tally especially for May 2nd.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com
Connecticut Audubon is offering Antarctica in Feb 2020 - join us for the
ultimate bucket list trip!