Date: 5/2/19 12:14 pm
From: Hannah Howard <hkhoward91...>
Subject: [ia-bird] TNC Bird Challenge Saturday May 18th
You are invited to participate in the 2019 TNC Bird Challenge at the Land of the Swamp White Oak Preserve on Saturday, May 18th! The event will take place from 8 am to 11:30 am at our Swamp White Oak Access (see below for driving directions). Please help us spread the word! This is something new for The Nature Conservancy in Iowa and we’d love your help to spread the word to fellow birders! The goal of the challenge is to count as many species of birds as possible in one day on lands and waters The Nature Conservancy has protected or helped to protect.

We will be tabulating participants’ sightings from the day and birders of all abilities are encouraged to join us! Participants can go off on their own or stay together as a group. Please bring binoculars, long pants, your favorite birding field guide (some will be available for use), sturdy hiking shoes or rubber boots, and water. This should be a great time to catch prothonotary warblers out at the preserve!

TO PARTICIPATE:
1) Let us know by Thursday, May 16th that you’ll go birding on Saturday, May 18th with us at the event
2) After you go birding, send us your list

INSTRUCTIONS:
3) Please don’t use audio playback or recordings to attract birds.
4) Please send all final bird lists to me, Hannah at <hannah.howard...>
5) Participants are encouraged to enter their data in eBird (http://ebird.org/content/ebird/).
6) Please share any eBird checklists with eBird user “TNCBirdChallenge”.

Driving Directions: From Muscatine on US Hwy 61 South bypass: Go south about 5 miles on the US Hwy 61 bypass to County Hwy G28 (Hershey Ave Exit). Turn west onto County Hwy G28 and go about 11.5 miles to destination on the north side of the road. PLEASE NOTE: You will go past the Cedar River about 0.8 miles and the Swamp White Oak Access is immediately before another bridge.

Or visit or website to see an interactive map:
https://www.nature.org/en-us/get-involved/how-to-help/places-we-protect/the-lower-cedar-valley-region/

Please note: This outing is done at your own risk – this preserve does not have hiking trails and there will be uneven terrain.

Thank you, and if you have any questions, please feel free to email or call me!

Hannah Howard
Community Coordinator
The Nature Conservancy
Land of the Swamp White Oak Office