Date: 5/2/19 10:25 am
From: Aidan Place <aidanjplace...>
Subject: Red-headed Woodpecker, Tons of Migrants— Frick Park, Allegheny County
I had an absolutely insane morning at Frick Park today— easily some of the best birding I’ve ever had in the park. The SW winds last night brought it big numbers of migrants and it was absolutely crawling with birds.

The first highlight was a Red-headed Woodpecker I found at the Environmental Center feeders. The bird was seen by a group of birders on and off for at least the next hour; moving around in the general feeder area.

The second highlight was a Black-billed Cuckoo seen well on the Meadow Trail— a scarce bird in the park.

Finally, late in the morning, Sameer Apte and myself located a singing Golden-winged Warbler on the Riverview Trail.

In total, I ended with 66 species including 14 warblers. Complete highlights are below.

Wood Duck (flyover)
White-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Blue-headed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Red-breasted Nuthatch (10 or more)
Least Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Red-headed Woodpecker
Black-billed Cuckoo
Purple Finch (9 in one tree on Riverview Hill)
Pine Siskin (2 flyovers)
Nashville Warbler (8)
Northern Parula (9, seemingly everywhere)
Ovenbird
Golden-winged Warbler
Blue-winged Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler