Date: 5/1/19 9:08 pm
From: Bill Tice <ticebill7...>
Subject: [obol] The Year of the Calliope
Hi All,,
Six days ago I had a female Calliope Hummer show up at my place in Falls
City, Polk County. She was a one day wonder, as these usually are.
Yesterday another female showed up, who stayed over until today. 3 other
local birders came over to tic it off on their Polk list. The last one was
Don Berg, and while we were looking at her, a male showed up on the other
side of the feeder. Cool! About a half hour later I was at the kitchen
table where the feeder on the other side of the house is set up, and I
"finally" saw 2 females together. I was suspecting there was a 2nd one
because I thought I saw 2 together twice before, but it was just too
quick. As I was watching these and the Rufous' joust and come and go, I
spied 2 male Calliopes at the same time about the feeder! So that makes 4
Calliopes in one place, here on the west side of the Willamette Valley. I
know this is hard to believe, but I really did see these all with my own
eyes. My wife did indeed see the males together. I tried to get them both
in one pic, and almost succeeded.

However, after taking some 200 pics (Yea, I know, digital photography
extends the limits......), some of which are in the eBird report below, my
wife noticed one of our cats having something small in his mouth, which
turned out to be one of the males, so guess he is at the end of his
migration.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55658752?share=true

--
Bill Tice

:
Birding - The best excuse for getting outdoors, and, for avoiding chores

Join us on Facebook!