Date: 5/1/19 7:10 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report
*SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report*

*May 1, 2019*

This morning, Fred and I led the Salem Audubon Minto-Brown Island Park bird
walk. We were joined by 15 other birders. It was a cool start to the
morning, but it did warm up nicely by the time we finished at 10:20 AM.
The temperatures ranged from 39 degrees to 59 degrees with fair skies. We
walked 3.6 miles as we covered the west end of the park including the
fields to the north and near the landfill. We observed (saw or heard) 46
species.

The highlights were as follows:

· Quite a few warblers were very active especially the *Wilson’s
Warblers*. We observed 12 *Wilson’s Warblers* (we saw at least 8 of
them). The *Black-throated Gray Warblers* (4) were very vocal with their
buzzy song. We also saw one *Yellow-rumped Warbler* and heard *Common
Yellowthroat* (2) and *Yellow Warbler* (4);

· We observed four of the five expected woodpecker species
including *Downy
Woodpecker*, *Pileated Woodpecker*, *Red-breasted Sapsucker* and *Northern
Flicker*. Everyone in the group was able to see a pair of sapsuckers up
close. We only heard the *Pileated Woodpecker*;

· There were only a few ducks around including six (6) *Wood Ducks*
and two (2) *Mallards* on the slough;

· There were two *Osprey* that flew over us with one of them being
quite vocal;

· We also saw a *Hutton’s Vireo, Rufous Hummingbird, Brown Creeper*
and several *Warbling Vireos*. We heard a *Western Tanager*.

The upcoming events include:

- *Friday, May 24th 9:00 AM* – SAS Shorts - Cascades Gateway Park bird
walk*.* Meet in the parking lot.

- *Sunday, May 26th 7:00 AM* – *Ankeny NWR field trip. *Meet at the
Pintail Marsh parking lot off Wintel Road.

Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Minto-Brown Island Park Checklist Summary for May 1, 2019*

*Identified Species: 46*

Canada Goose 3
Wood Duck 6
Mallard 2