Date: 5/1/19 3:26 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Malheur update
The Ground Squirrel Gazette

May 1, 2019

We expected a quiet day here today and that’s what we got. The only arrivals I could find in a morning and afternoon round were a Golden-crowned Sparrow (not a common bird here) and a Fox Sparrow that looked like a standard model slate-headed. Small numbers of Nashvilles, Orange-crowns and empidonax remain.

A few white geese that looked like Snows from a distance are hanging out at the Hines sewage ponds.

I heard second-hand that there was a sizable snowstorm in the Winnemucca area yesterday, which might have been an additional factor in a lack of movement. I have also heard that there are a few small puddles building in the Fields oasis, perhaps from the spring, as the creek isn’t doing much.

Mosquito Index at HQ: nil.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon