Date: 5/1/19 2:46 pm
From: Bryan MacKay <mackay...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Red tail gray squirrel faceoff
A few minutes ago I noticed a red tail eating a rat on a downed tree in my neighbor's backyard. After a few minutes, one of our many gray squirrels walked out the branch to within a foot of the hawk, stayed for a few seconds, then turned around and left. The hawk observed but did nothing. I was really surprised that a gray squirrel would chance such an encounter. Was the squirrel making sure the prey item was not a squirrel? Opinions?

Sorry about this listing as "me". I can't figure out how to change it.

Bryan MacKay
Catonsville, MD