Date: 5/1/19 1:11 pm
From: Phil Davis <pdavis...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Our Rose-breasted Grosbeak story
MDBirders:

I think I may have told this story before here, but probably many years ago ...

Back in the mid-late 1980s, when Barbara and I were getting seriously
into bird feeding and bird watching, I had a job that frequently took
me near a lot of great birding spots (to places like Los Angeles, San
Francisco, Seattle, Minneapolis, among others), and I had plenty of
flexibility in scheduling my own travel.

So, I was making a visit to my Houston operation at the end of
April-beginning of May and went, for my first time, to migration hot
spot, High Island, TX. Near the end of a day of great birding, I
called Barbara at home and told her all of exciting warblers and
other birds I had seen that day (about 100 species, as I recall). And
I told her, "Oh, yes, I also had Rose-breasted Grosbeaks (lifers)."
Barbara said, "Oh, I'm so jealous. That's such a beautiful bird ...
send one my way." And I said I would.

Just after we hung up the phone, Barbara looked out the window and
there, on the feeder, was a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak !!!" The date
was May 1st.

So, every year on May 1st, we particularly keep our eyes peeled and
it's amazing, over the many years, how often May 1st is our first of
the season (FOS) sighting.

This morning, during breakfast, Barbara looks up and exclaims, "There
it is!" In the trees, our male FOS Rose-breasted Grosbeak and, then
later in the day, it was on the feeders.

It makes us smile, every time!

Good birding.

Phil

PS. We also had a catbird on the birdbath today, that's not very
common in our yard.