Date: 5/1/19 6:30 am
From: thbeal via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Goatsucker at Oriole Park
This is a trick I learned from a British birdwatcher. When you hear Whips at dusk, take out your white handkerchief and wave it around your head. They buzzed right over our heads near Little creek, DE. Worked last year in Georgia on Whips and nighthawks, too. They don't have the distinct white wingbars of Nighthawks, but apparently all the goatsuckers have white patches and use them as display clues.
Tom Beal